- Thee Oh Sees - Lupine Dominus. No other song comes close in matching the sleekness, sharpness, and sexiness of this song.
- Frank Ocean - Super Rich Kids (feat. Earl Sweatshirt). Channel Orange was chocked full of marvelous musical moments, but this song stands out in particular for its lyrical richness and vivid imagery. It’s like you can feel splashes of water from a private pool of a million dollar property in the Hamptons.
- White Rabbits - Heavy Metal. My testimony for this song is that I found myself thinking “I wish Spoon sound more like this”
- The Hives - Come On. Only The Hives could make a one minute bomber consists entirely of the words “come on” and still make it sound fun as fuck.
- Divine Fits - Would That Not Be Nice. If your 2012 party were cool, you’d have this song in your playlist on repeat.
- Atoms for Peace - Default. Thom Yorke side projects are just basically his way of releasing primo quality stripping music, and I have absolutely no problem with that.
- The Walkmen - Heartbreaker. Heaven was really solid as an album, which made pinpointing just one particular song to be a bit of a daunting task. In the end, Heartbreaker prevails because you kind of can believe that it’s from the band that once made Bows+Arrows, but still hear the band’s growth since the album, musically and thematically.
- Beach House - On The Sea. I’ve listened to this song on a rainy afternoon on a train to Baltimore. I think that’s the way Victoria Legrand wants me to listen to it.
- Lower Dens - Candy. This song sounds pretty inconspicuous at first listen, but it got stuck in my head days and days after. Dat guitar. Video freaks me out though.
- Grizzly Bear - Sleeping Ute. I admit I’m more of a Rossen fan vocal-wise. I like how the first riff kind of just whips you like a hurricane (is that even an appropriate simile).
Posts tagged divine fits.
(highly subjective) AOTY 2012 list part 1, 1-9
Unordered top 3 (‘cuz they’re all great in an incomparable way)
- Divine Fits - A Thing Called Divine Fits
- Frank Ocean - channel ORANGE
- The Walkmen - Heaven
4. Beach House - Bloom
5. Lower Dens - Nootropics
6. White Rabbits - Milk Famous
7. The Mountain Goats - Transcendental Youth
8. Grizzly Bear - Shields
9. Tennis - Young & Old
Britt: Dan… I thought you were mine…!
the disappointment in Britt’s face looks all too real though
and Alex looking awkward being the 4th wheel as usual
Bradford Cox with Britt at last night’s show in Atlanta (via emilyhogan on instagram)
Divine Fits at Old National Centre, Indianapolis, IN. October 26th, 2012.
Oh lord where do I start
This is probably the only gig I’ll go to this semester and yeah I can pretty much live with that fact